- Read Galatians 5:22-25 from the N.I.V. translation
- Remind everyone that we have been studying the Holy Spirit, that piece of God’s presence that God puts inside all of us. Explain that this Spirit starts small but begins to grow inside us. Over time it actually spills out of us into the world. What Paul calls the “fruits of the Spirit” are 9 great qualities that Jesus himself had AND that we start seeing in ourselves as we grow closer and closer to God.
- Discuss why you think Paul decided to call these “fruits.” Play with the possibilities.
- Ask the group to pick a few of these qualities or fruits that they’d like to talk about or learn more about. You might also ask everyone which qualities they are already starting to see in themselves OR in other members of the family. Which ones does each person think they need a little work on. (Be positive and encouraging with each other! Emphasize that these are gifts we receive from God’s Spirit and some take more time to show up in us than others. That’s OK!)
- Close with the following prayer:
Dear Spirit God, thank you for living inside us. Thank you for planting seeds in our hearts and personalities that grow little by little each day. We look forward to seeing more love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control in ourselves and in each other, as we stay connected to the vine of Jesus. Amen.