As you prepare for our 3rd session together please complete the following tasks:
Consider these Questions in Your Journal:
– Is practicing the Sabbath getting any easier, more natural?
– Where/when am I experiencing Pharaoh’s ongoing influence in my life?
Read Brueggemann – bottom half of pg 16 through the top 2 paragraphs of 17 and respond to it. What are your thoughts and why?
Read Deuteronomy Chapter 6 carefully and thoroughly
Deuteronomy 6 is arguably the single most important chapter for Jews in the entire Torah! See if you can figure out why. There are 5 paragraph chunks within this vital chapter in Israel’s history: verses 1-3, 4-9, 10-15, 16-19, and 20-25
– What is the focus and purpose of each of these chunks of material?
– How does vs 3 re-emphasize the purpose behind the commandments? Verse 24?
– Verses 6-9 may seem a bit excessive and extreme to us, but why did Yahweh go to such extremes here?
– Why all the emphasis in verses 10-11 on all that the Israelites have NOT done?
– Verses 20-25 instruct the Jews how to explain all these laws to their children? Why? And why all the emphasis on Egypt and their time there?
Read Deuteronomy Chapter 8:11-20 carefully and thoroughly
– What is Yahweh most concerned about in this section? Why?
– Again, why all the emphasis on the Egypt and Exodus experience?
– In verse 19, Yahweh warns against “other gods.” Besides the literal gods of other nations, what other metaphoric “gods” might Yahweh be concerned about?
– How might we consider 8:11-20 as a summary of the history of America? What other “gods” have we gone after in our 250-year history? Are we still pursuing them?
Read Brueggemann Pages 35-39 – what strikes you as important and worth talking about in these pages and why?
For Your Journal: – How might we help each other to better “keep” the Sabbath?
– What could our church family do to support us in our Sabbath keeping?