Week One – Faith After Doubt Study Guide for Wednesday, 2/17/21– 7-8:30 pm
Writing Exercise – Before class spend some time writing about the following:
– What is one doctrine or belief you grew up being taught (and perhaps
believing) but you can’t say you believe it anymore?
– How has it felt to have that doubt/questioning inside you? Have you
shared it with anyone? If so, how did that conversation go?
* You will not be obligated to share what you write
What pages or passages from the reading would you like to talk about tonight? (Please bring a couple every week! That will make the class go much better!)
Here are 2 passages I’d like you to look at and prepare to discuss:
– Bottom paragraph of xiv through last full paragraph on xv
– see the Buechner quote on top of 13 – thoughts?
The 3-Part Brain – Spend some time on this key dimension in McLaren’s approach
– Reptilian Brain/Instinctive Brain (gut–survival) reflexes, bodily functions, etc.
– Mammalian Brain/Intuitive Brain (heart –relational) attachment, social
– Intellectual Brain/Primate Brain (head – meaning) logical, rational, analytical
“Faith is a matter of head, heart, and gut… a whole-brain or whole-self proposal.”
* Go over pgs 18-19 carefully. Any questions, comments, or stories?
Understanding Stage 1 Faith – Simplicity – Spend some time on this
Key Concepts: Right and Wrong, Black and White – Dualistic thinking
Authority & Submission – BIG people know everything
Trust, Unquestioning Loyalty – Life is a War, about Survival
* Go over pgs 46-47 carefully. Any questions, comments, stories?
Quote to consider: “The only way out is doubt…we doubt our way out of
Understanding Stage 2 Faith – Complexity– Spend some time on this
Key Concepts: Pragmatism, Independence, Succeeding, Winning
Questions enter in, Freedom emerges
Coaches to help me Win – Life is a Game, about Effectiveness
* Go over pgs 49-50 & 52-53 carefully. Any questions, comments, stories*
*Check out the Chart on 223-225 – Super Helpful!